Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Restoring the RCA 86K7 - Day 2


I seem to have come down with a bout of stomach flu and am feeling like a piece of chewed string so today all I did was test the tubes. Once I'm back on my feet I'll get down to the business of recapping.


The 6F6 Final Output tube was shattered so there's one for the replacement checklist.

Of the 5 remaining tubes, two tested bad. The 5W4 Rectifier tube and the 6K7 IF tube. I believe that's the 6A8 detector tube on the Triplet in the photo below.

And yes that's a Palomar FC40 frequency counter sitting in the chair in the background. It was sitting on top of the tube tester in the closet so it just came along to watch.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Click on picture to enlarge




Being able to do little more than lay on the couch and play with the laptop I decided to work on this blog and, after a bit of playing around in Paint Shop Pro 8, I made the RCA division line above. If anyone wants a copy just email me and I'll send you one without the matching background.

I also did a bit of surfing for a replacement for the grill cloth. Unfortunantly, no-one makes anything that looks even close to the original cloth for the 86K7, but Radio Daze makes one that appears quite close to the original cloth on the RCA 87K (see GRC 22) so I have pretty much decided to go with that one. I quipped to a friend online "I doubt anyone is going to take one look at it and say 'Either change the grill cloth or add a tuning eye' "


No comments: