Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Restoring the RCA 86K7 - Day 6

Grill Cloth Surprise!

The parts have come in so it's time to get back to work.

The Grill Cloth I ordered from Radio Daze has come in so I figured I would go ahead and change it.

After removing the speaker and the backer board for the cloth, I realized that someone has glued the el-cheapo generic grill cloth to the board. Grabbing the exacto knife (so as not to damage the cardboard backer board) I began carefully lifting the old cloth. To my utter surprise I found THE FACTORY ORIGINAL GRILL CLOTH UNDERNEATH!!



I have never seen the original grill cloth. When I was trying to choose a new grill cloth I searched the internet high and low for any photo of the original cloth. Unfortunately the only image I could find showing the original pattern was a black and white image in the 1937 service manual, so the rest was left up to guess work.

I had assumed the pattern was done in Gold on Brown as was so common in the day, but could find nothing even remotely similar to the cross-hatch wave pattern that can just barely be seen in the service manual.

Needless to say I opted for a pattern that was common to RCA during the period.

For purposes of historical documentation and as a reference for anyone else who may be restoring the RCA 86K7 I will be posting as many pictures of the original pattern as possible here.






NOTICE: The following images are HUGE for downloading and may take quite some time on dial up connections.













This is a digital recreation of what the RCA 86K7 should look like with the correct grill cloth. Again, the linked image is HUGE, but I have left it in this format to retain resolution.

The squares in this image are slightly smaller than they really are. In reality it should be about 5 squares across by 6 down, but this gives you a good idea of what it looked like.

No comments: